Science stands for a mystery
According to Maria Hopman of the UMC St Radboud Nijmegen, the things that Wim is capable of are scientifically viewed as impossible. Maria Hopman did a cold physiological experiment on Wim and examined him while he stood a cylinder filled with 700 kilograms ice cubes. An untrained person would likely die from hypothermia; Wim, however, has never had that risk. His body temperature remained constant around 37 degrees Celsius; Hopman expected his temperature to drop over. She thinks it´s possible that Wim can influence his autonomic nervous system, which regulates, among other things, the heart rate, breathing and blood circulation. Yet, her head is filled with many questions like: How can a man raise his metabolism twice as high without any increase of heart rate? How is it possible that Wim does not shiver while this would be the normal reaction of a body exposed it to extreme cold? Hopman is continuing her investigation on Wim to find the answers to her questions.
Iceman in worldwide interest of science
Maria Hopman is one of the many scientists who have examined Wim in recent years. Not only in the Netherlands but also abroad, Wim caught the attention of scientists around the world with his exceptional performance.
They examined him in different ways.
- Endo toxic research conducted by Prof. Peter Pickkers, UMC St Radboud (amazing results, influence on the autonomic nervous system and imune system!)
- Blood tests during meditation and breathing exercises in the UMC St Radboud Nijmegen led by Prof. Netea and Prof. Stick
- Cold physiological research TNO led by Prof. Daanen
- Cold physiological research in Oulu (Finland) led by Prof. Oksa
- Blood tests during meditation and breathing exercises in New York led by Dr. Kevin Tracey
- Ten records exposing to extreme cold led by different doctors and physiologists.
- Brown adipose research
Experiments that are taking place at the moment
- Passing the Wim Hof Method on to 10 participants; the physiological affects from the method, as well as any observations, are being documented.
Different publications of research:
The influence of concentration meditation on autonomic nervous system and the innate immune response Download
Can meditation influence the Autonomic Nervous System Download
Wim Hof (Iceman) is a Global Warming Ambassador.
Do you want to be notified about the Iceman? Subscribe to our newsletter!